domingo, 23 de julio de 2017

GWA23E

Chapter 23. A new tragedy



As a few days later it seemed like things were going well, the boys had relaxed a little at the college. No other demon had ever bothered them again and that was always good. Even so, Roy did not trust that. He wanted to avoid what had happened in past experiences and he continued to train with increasing intensity helped by Tom. The truth is that he had made progress in mastery of his skills, though not as spectacularly as at first. What if had advanced much was his relationship with Beruche that, little by little, was becoming more and more romantic. They started going out together assiduously, but they were still just two good friends. Tom and Cooan, too, had come very close. After her disappointment with Roy, Cooan really noticed him. In addition to a good friend she saw a boy who could listen to her and shared many common hobbies. Apart from those evenings listening to music and practicing dancing, the boy asked her to be her partner for a dance contest that was held in a local town and she accepted. In this way they came. Ready to compete.

-I'm very nervous. -  Cooan said to her sister who came to accompany her. -
-Do not be silly, you're the best dancer I've ever seen alongside Makoto-chan. - Bertie encouraged. - It's a shame that Kalie and Petz could not come for work.
-If you do as usual, you'll have the jury in the boat. - Roy said that he did not want to lose that either, to add. - I have to admit it Kansas peasant. I do not dance too badly. But in a matter of dance, you are much better than me. Surely you will have no rival.
-Thanks my friend. - Answered the boy who addressed his partner. - Ready?
-I think so. - She could say. -


            Tom cheered her up by giving her a friendly smile and saying in a confident tone.

-Do it as you know. - Same as when we practiced. You're the best dancer I've ever seen. Whatever happens do not worry. The result is not important. What it counts is that we enjoy the experience.


            Cooan nodded, that boy knew how to make her feel safe and appreciated. She wished not to disappoint him and thought it was best to follow his advice. She was going to have fun with one of his favourite hobbies, without worrying about winning. So after warming up a bit they said goodbye to their friends who went to observe the evolutions of the participants, taking a table near the track. All the contestants, about twelve couples, were quoted in the centre of it. The boys dressed in suits and ties and the girls in elegant evening attire. The one of Cooan was mauve adorned with a white flower that was caught in the cleavage. There was a murmur of conversation between the couples, but it soon ceased when the spokesman and chairman of the jury arrived. This microphone in hand, he said.

-I'll explain the rules to you. - It's very simple, we'll put some songs. Couples will dance. Our jurors will be observing their evolutions and when they consider that some pair does not maintain the level they will touch them in the shoulder. That means that they have been eliminated and leaving the dance area. Obviously the pair that remains at the end on the track will be the winner ... I wish luck to everyone. And let the contest begin! ...


            Soon he retired from the track and the music began to sound. A slow song that everyone danced harder. Here, the judges eliminated a pair of couples who did not seem to have much technique. Later it sounded another that was a tango. Tom and Cooan danced in a really remarkable way. Although three other couples fell here. The third song was a rumba that they dominated well, leaving finally four surviving couples, among them the one of the two boys.

- They are doing very well, little cube. - Roy commented to Beruche. - They are already in the semi-finals...
-Yes, my sister learned to dance in Nemesis being very small, - said his interlocutor. – She always liked that.
-And you dance like that too? - The young man wanted to know. -
- Not as well as she does, but they all instructed us in ceremonial and courtly etiquette.
-You have to teach me a little, ha, ha! - He confessing. - To jump around I'm very good, but to dance like they do ... that is impossible to me.
-If you promise not to step on me much, ha, ha, ha! - The girl laughed in turn. - I may consider it.

           
            And finally, after a short break the finalists heard the last song. The one that would give the winner. It was moved, an artist that Roy was familiar with even though he did not finish recognizing ... Meanwhile Cooan, was sighing a little nervous and ready to start that last round, Tom for his part smiled. He did know, whose the melody was. And of course, that song seemed to have been written for them. Since he could hear the lyrics as he carried Connie with great elegance and dexterity.


She wants to dance
She wants to dance with me
Oh yeah (dance with me)

There's a girl I've been waiting to see
And really the feeling that she likes me
Because she said it, but not in so many words
I have to tell you what I've heard


-Dance separated. - The judge ordered .-


They all turned away from their partners, performing dance steps and moving with great ease. Although the jurors touched two more. The rest moved forward, step back, clapping and beat. There was a boy who was touched in the shoulder when losing the rhythm. His disheartened companion had to follow him off the runway. Only Tom and Cooan were left against another couple...


She does not want any wild romance
When she is with me, she only wants to dance.

She wants to dance with me
Because I'm going to hug her so tightly by my side
She wants to dance with me
Because I'll let her be what she wants to be?

Now I know I've been out of touch
And I never meant to hurt my baby oh so much
Because I love her, and I think she loves me
And that's the way it has to be


-Couples again! - Exclaimed another of the judges and the participants obeyed. -


          Now they had to evolve giving turns and more turns on the track. Cooan lifted the skirt of her dress gracefully. Tom seemed, of course, a consummate dancer carrying her with a gentleness that seemed almost ethereal ... So said an admired Roy to a not less impressed Bertie.

-It's amazing! They look like Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. Your sister and the Kansas peasant are the soul of this contest...
And although the girl did not know whom her interlocutor could refer, she nodded smiling as she continued to revel in the evolutions of her friends with that music ...

When we're together, we never fight.
We have better things to do tonight

She wants to dance with me
Because I'm going to hug her so tightly by my side
She wants to dance with me
Because I'll let her be what she wants to be

She wants to dance
She wants to dance

She wants to dance with me
Because I'm going to hug her so tightly by my side
She wants to dance with me
Because I'll let her be what she wants to be ...

(She wants to dance with me. Rick Asley, credit to the artist)



The competition had reached its climax. The girl of the other couple had the bad luck to slip a little and that eliminated them from the contest. Now, far from stopping the music Tom and Cooan continued to evolve to delight the audience being the obvious favourites. Their friends applauded like the rest of the audience and had a great time. When the song ended, there was a standing ovation. They both greeted the audience and gave each other a hug.

-The winning pair of the contest is the one composed by Thomas Alan Rodney and Constance Malinde.- Proclaimed the judge.-
- Did he say Constance? - Bertie was surprised. -
-I did not expect that. - Roy smiled. -


So they took the prize, a nice silver cup with two interlaced figures in the dance that he gave to the enchanted girl.

-I want you to have it, Connie, - the young man offered. -
-But we have won the two of us. - She could say visibly the embarrassed  -It's yours too ...
-That will give you a good memory. - He smiled.  - I value that much more.


            She looked at him, stunned and grateful. He was looking more and more at that gallant and handsome boy who she was always wanted in her life. They barely knew each other and he had given her that trophy that would certainly mean a lot to him too. She could not stop relating that to the only gift with the ruthless Rubeus presented her, a bomb that was meant for she to die. And every time she compared the personality of that cruel former boss of hers and this nice boy she still noticed more of the abysmal difference ...

-How stupid foolish I was! - She whispered, nodding slightly.- How could I be in love with that terrible man.-
-Did you mean? - He wanted to know.
-Nothing, you're very kind. - Thank you so much. It makes me so happy. - The girl smiled brightly giving him a nice kiss on his cheek.-


Tom almost blushed, unable to help himself. To have her there, by his side and to see her so radiant with happiness, made his heart beat faster. He did not know if luckily or unfortunately the voice of his friend Roy took him out of that state.

-You're the best dance partner I've seen since Rogers and Astaire.-  Did I tell you, little cube didn´t I?
-Yes. - Bertie nodded with amused amusement, but then she asked her sister, also in jocular tones. - Constance?
-Well.- The girl blushed.- When Tom went to sign us up inadvertently called me Connie. You guys and everyone at the University, you call me that. I suppose the one who aimed the names thought it was a short of that name ...
-Yeah, ha, ha -  Tom stammered, bringing a hand to the back of his neck. - The fact is, it was my fault. When I was going to say her name, I said Connie without thinking about it ... I'm sorry.
-No, I like the way it sounds. - She smiled at him affectionately. – It is a beautiful name.


            The boy's blush had to be more than perceptible when Roy himself intervened to comment loosely and get him out of that quagmire ...

-Whose song was that? - He asked. It seemed familiar to me but I do not remember. -
-The great Rick Astley, - said his friend. "She wants to dance with me." And he sang a snippet in a voice that rivalled the original interpreter as he gazed lovingly at Connie.

She wants to dance with me
Because I'm going to hug her so tightly by my side
She wants to dance with me
Because I'll let her be what she wants to be ...


            Now it was she who flushed. Her companions smiled to see them. It was clear that they made a great pair. Especially in the eyes of Beruche who knew how important it was for her sister to have found such a boy. Roy was also so happy for his friend. The boy deserved it. He did not have to be too clever to realize he had a crush on Connie just to meet her. So that, in order to break the atmosphere of romantic embarrassment, he gently proposed.

-What do you say. Are we going to have a drink?  I'm starving. Do you want to eat some hog dogs? ... I invite.
-You? - Tom was amazed, pointing to amusement. - I do not believe it!
-Yeah, me. What's up, peasant? - His friend laughed. - I have invited you so many times before ...
- Oh yes!, yes you have invited me in many occasions, but then it has always been my turn to pay, - replied the other with humorous sarcasm combined with resignation as he lifted his palms upward, sticking his elbows to his body riveted quickly. – Pity that today I do not carry enough money in order to accept your “ generous invitation”, pal ...


            Hearing this the girls laughed out loud. It was Beruche who could say, once she controlled himself enough.

-Do not worry, Tommy. This time he's going to pay for it ... he better will do. Or in the Moon´s name, I will punish him.
-Ok. If you put it that way. I will pay, I promise. – Answered Roy smiling.-
-Now I do  accept.-  Tom laughed, and with him the rest. As the boy added .-  You can´t ask him for other things, but when it comes to keep his promises this fool always can be trust.


And the others agreed on that by going somewhere for dinner. Now, almost imperceptibly couples were being created. Bertie walked with Roy, stoically listening to his occurrences and laughing too often. Meanwhile, a little further back, Cooan was walking alongside Tom. Each time she felt more comfortable beside him. He was so kind and I always listened to her with full attention. He also showed romanticism, sensitivity and told her things about his house, his parents and his little brother. For all this and many other things, the young woman had been valuing him more and more beyond simple friendship. Yet it was not in her mind, at least for the moment, to go into a deeper relationship. She wanted to be sure not to go wrong again, and Tom was a patient boy who enjoyed the rapport between them and had no problem letting her have the time  she would need to think about that important decision. That's how things went. Fortunately free from demonic attacks. The following week, a quiet Saturday afternoon after a victory over Roy's team, with a more than outstanding performance of his that everyone was in charge of applauding. (Cooan as always in her position as cheerleader and Bertie in the stands but near the bench) were the four to go to the see a movie.  Roy went to take a shower in the locker room and then went to his room where, "Queen" music in full volume, he looked at the billboard of a newspaper he had bought. Tom came and set down slightly the volume to ask his friend.

- Are you watching any movie?
- Yes, pal, in some cinema near my neighbourhood. - He informed him while he looked at the entertainment section. -
- Well, it's already past three-thirty, so we'd better go get the girls. - His companion proposed him giving a slow look to his watch.-
-You're right! - Admitted Roy, who, as usual, had spent time on him. - Good idea. Wait a minute. I just have to get dressed.


            And in just five minutes he was ready and the two could arrive at the agreed time. The meeting point was located at the gates of the College, and both girls were waiting there. Pleased by their punctuality (especially Beruche that in that did not trust Roy). Both received them with a smile and Cooan inquired.

- Have you found a good movie?
-I do not know, I do not know -  Roy said with a distended gesture to suggest jovially. - What about Exorcist III?


            Tom and the girls glared at him, but also with an unmistakable sense of humour and Bertie went even further by giving him a good hit on his head ...

-Au, hey cube, that hurts! - He complained rubbing his neck vigorously. -
-Do not you get tired of so many demons, Roy? - She blamed him with her arms on her hips, though with a clear gesture of humour. -
-I'm sorry, - he said, shrugging his shoulders with a rather silly little smile. -
- Look, this one you could like, girls. I loved it when I was a child. - Said Tom, scrutinizing the billboard. - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
-Oh it's pretty! - exclaimed Cooan who added with almost professional interest. - Yes, I think it's for children, I've heard them say something about them in our practice class.
-I do not think so! - Roy laughed, waving a hand. - Or you had some very rare children in your classes indeed ...


            His friends looked at him in surprise, but the boy told Tom to read more carefully. This he did, read better the part in which it was announced and the blush seized his cheeks ...

-It's true,- X version puts it in clear enough. -
-Aijó, aijo, go home to work ha, ha! - taunted Roy again while  proclaimed laughing - I know what's going on in this movie !, there are some dwarves who have some things ... - made a space with the hands to blush and surprise of the girls - so big! And Snow White has a really good time...
-Oh you are a nasty pig! - Bertie was scandalized, coloured like a tomato, giving him a new hit in the same place as the previous one. –
-Auu! - The beaten boy complained and after rubbing again in the damaged area he resumed the newspaper snatching it to his still embarrassed friend. - Bring that here Kansas peasant. You do not know how to look for proper movies. - He pointed at the newspaper with one finger and exclaimed with great joy. - Look, Superman! They are playing the film again, and it is one of my favourites.
-I have not seen that movie, what is it about? - Cooan asked. -
- I hope it's not another one of those filthy films of yours. - Bertie added suspiciously looking at Roy with narrowed eyes -...
- No, I assure you. – He answered her adding with a clear tinge of nostalgia - I saw it when I was only a child with my father.
- Superman is a guy who flies and fights against injustice by helping people with their powers. - Tom explained briefly. -
- How good would someone like that could be on our side, besides the Golden Warrior and the justicieras. – Declared Cooan. -
-Well, - said Roy, with a sneaky grin, - I think that golden warrior fits well by himself. -
- Yeah, but we could use that Superman anyway. - Agreed Beruche with her sister. -
-Do you know that when I was little people told me that I was very much like him? - Tom laughed.-
- It's true, now that you say it - Roy smiled trying to curl a strand of hair without his friend let him. - And also you are from Kansas...
-Well, I'm curious to see that film. - Cooan said. -
-Then, if you want, we'll stay for tonight. Let´s say it at nine o'clock. - Roy informed them, reminding them with joy. - And since it is weekend, we do not have to come back at ten.
-Then we met at half past seven at the bus stop. - Bertie said visibly pleased too. -


            Everyone agreed and they stayed at that hour, this time Roy was even more punctual, he did not want to be late at all. The boys went to the city and were able to buy the tickets without problems. What they did not count on was the presence of individuals belonging to the sect who observed them covered in anonymity, (not being demons, the stones of the girls did not react).

-We must inform the Great Sage and the masters, - said one of them to his companion. - At last the opportunity has come.
-I'll take care of that, - said the other. You follow them, we'll attack them at the exit. When we have reinforcements and fewer people around.


            The spy left and arriving at the headquarters of the Sect, informing the masters, one of them congratulated him.

- You did very well, now return to your post, we will send reinforcements.

            This guy bowed and left, another master intervened.

- Send them in disguised as gang members, it will seem like an assault on the many that are all over the city.
-That's a good idea, - agreed the third master, - so they will not suspect us. We will alert our group in charge of the street riots.
-The Great Sage will be very pleased with our cunning - said the first master with triumphalism. -


            At that time, already in the cinema. The movie was about to start, Roy cautiously made a stop at the bar as his friends occupied their localities. Appearing in the room, to the surprise of the rest, they saw him loaded with popcorn and soda.

-Where are you going with all that? - Beruche smiled. -
- I bring to all! - He replied enthusiastically - the films must be seen with a good seasoning and this more than any...
-It's about to begin, - Tom said as the lights went out. –


The film began with a great soundtrack that foreshadowed something very interesting. As they passed the couples were already evident. Roy and Bertie were together as Tom and Cooan huddled closer together. The girls were shocked, that planet Krypton was alike to Nemesis in its aseptic buildings and wastelands as main landscape.  Apart from that Roy was weird, at least from Bertie's point of view, he made no jokes or comments like he did in other films. He smiled with some scenes and Beruche thought he saw tears in his eyes as the protagonist said goodbye to his mother. She could understand him very well, in turn she did the same in her home world and now she realized that it was also a final farewell. In truth it was a pretty movie but she did not lose sight of her partner who smiled instead with Superman's flight with Lois. He really thought about that, one day he would want to take his partner in the same way. When the protagonist died, Roy felt much identified, looked at Bertie and she realized she smiled holding his hand, more when he assured in a tone that did not sound like a joke.

-I can understand how he felt. I would also turn the Earth upside down for you, little cube...


Luckily in the darkness of the cinema nobody saw how Bertie turned red. Tom looked at Cooan sideways and the girl blushed looking away. So the minutes passed and when the film ended they left the cinema with the consequent comments.

- I liked it a lot. - said Cooan. - What a great guy that Superman!
-Yes, - agreed her sister to the boys' surprise when she added in solidarity. - I understand, that to come from another world and to integrate in this one is difficult.
- But like you, he chose the way to defend the good. - Tom told them making both of them smile gratefully. -
-I wish we had a hero like him here! - Sighed Cooan -
-Hey, you already have me! - Roy joked, (or so the girls believed, of course.) -
-Come on, hero! - Bertie scoffed, with a half-chirping little smile she used to lavish when she was happy. - We'd better get back.


            Roy nodded with a broader smile although his friends said nothing as they had glimpsed complicity, as if they reaffirmed a decision taken earlier and it was Tom who told them.

-If you do not mind, Connie and I will stay for a while longer. It's a nice night.
- Yes, we feel like walking and taking something. Are you coming? -Cooan suggested, mostly because of commitment. -


            Roy looked at his friend and could not suppress a gesture of approval, however, he shook his head and said...

- I think Bertie's right. I'm grounded for the day I've had. I did not stop for a second and I want to rest. I will accompany you Bertie to your sister's apartment.


            Beruche nodded, though she did not want it all. Anyway, she and Roy had also had some very guiding glances during the movie and they would talk during the ride. The girl also approved the gesture of her partner and wished that her sister and Tom had a great evening both alone. For his part Roy had similar feelings. So both couples broke up. Roy and Bertie walked out holding hands, which in itself was quite revealing to the other couple. The other two smiled, imagining that perhaps their friends would take longer to reach the girls' apartment. But Tom chose to leave his teammates aside in his mind and focus on the stupendous girl who had alone with him at last.

-Do you want a drink? - He offered cheerfully. - I am very thirsty, I have eaten many popcorn. I invite you to a refreshment.
- Yes, thank you very much - she smiled that agreed - I am also dry.


            They settled in a comfortable nearby bar that had a terrace. There they asked for refreshments and began to chat. Tom could not help mentioning the subject of his friends and commented.

- I'm glad for them, it was something that it was seen coming.
- Well, I was not so sure. - Cooan rebuffed amused by that assertion. - My sister usually does not get convince by anyone to have a date so easily.
- Roy is not any guy. - Tom declared that he finished his words with a sincere tone. - And Bertie, of course, is not an ordinary girl either. Since I've met my roommate I've never seen him behave like that with any woman.
-And what exactly does that mean? - Cooan was interested in stirring her drink with the straw she had. -
- No, do not get me wrong. - He hastened to tone it down, afraid that he'd given her the wrong impression. - Roy, despite what he seems, has never tried to take advantage of the girls with whom he has went out. I know, he has only gotten as far as they have allowed it. Although most of them have been very permissive, you understand me. But with Bertie, it's something else. It's curious. Sometimes it seems to me that they both had to know each other, and what has happened to those demons has brought them together.


            Her partner nodded, she had realized that too. She knew that from almost the beginning, despite the anger and tantrums that her sister was taking because of that boy. But Bertie had always been an open book to her, and the poor woman had actually concealed bad her emotions in spite of believing otherwise. Even so, it is not that Cooan believed that her sister had fallen in love with Roy from day one. Their first meeting was not exactly very romantic. But she did, even though she did not want to see it, since they had returned from that practice with the children. And later she could verify it in the hospital. She sighed, that belonged to the past and now she had next to that boy she had hardly noticed until a few weeks ago. The truth was that at first glance Tom was eclipsed by the overwhelming personality of his friend but he had a calm and an implicit sweetness that slowly were pouring into her heart. By his manner and actions he was a true gentleman. Besides, he reminded her of a mixture between Mamoru and prince Sapphire in physique, in his gestures and even in his kindness, which seemed sincere, very different from the one shown by Rubeus, for example. Yes, now she saw it so clearly that she was surprised at how she could have been so blind in the past. Or rather in the future. As it said a song she had ever heard. She had been chained to a feeling and now that she was free she could value the true virtues. She even hummed her a little at the boy's amazement...

-Connie?  Are you ok? - He inquired, noting her absent and she immediately dispelled those thoughts and answered. -
-Yes. I am sorry, I was remembering the events that have brought us here and the truth is that I am very happy to have met both of you. I was thinking of that song that you played for me ... that about of getting rid of the chains...
           

And while she said that she thought that she did not really know much about her partner, except for the small details that he had been told her about his life. Tom had a younger brother and was born in Kansas. He arrived at the Golden with a scholarship just like them, since he came from another more modest university. The boy on the other hand smiled, the same thing happened to him. He looked at Cooan (Connie as she was affectionately nicknamed Roy and himself.) At first glance that girl, so cheerful and yet timid and sweet, hid many secrets. He could never imagine her with a life so different from the one he had seen. Although one thing was clear, she was never free to decide on it and when she could do it she took the right path. In fact, Tom realized that this was common to both Bertie and Roy. Only he had a clear existence and nothing to hide. Well, except for the feelings he had for that girl who studied him with that kind look. And maybe not only that.

-Woman in chains - the boy said then, remembering. -
-What? - She was surprised. -
-That song. True? I like it very much too.


            And to the surprise and rapture of the girl, he even sang some stanzas ... Cooan actually remembered having listened to him. Once he played t it on and she was especially touched when he accompanied the melody with his own voice, so warm and beautiful.

You'd better love and better behave.
You'd better love and better behave.
Woman in chains
Woman in chains

She calls her man the great white hope
She tells him she's okay, she always cope.
Woman in chains
Woman in chains

Well, I feel lying and waiting is a poor man deal. Affair of a poor man
And I feel oppressed and hopeless by your steel eyes.
Well, it's a world comes crazy that keeps the woman in chains. Woh, woh, woh
Woman in chains
Woman in chains

Change your soul for skin and bone
Sails the only think she owns
You'd better love and behave well.
Give all you own.
You'd better love and behave well.
Woman, chained (the Sun and the Moon) Woman chained
Men of stone
Men of stone

Well, I feel that deep within your heart there are wounds that time cannot heal
(Time cannot heal)
And I feel that somewhere there is someone who cannot breathe
You know what I mean
Well, it's a world comes crazy that keeps the woman in chains.


It's under my skin but out of my hands
I'll tear it apart. (Someone somewhere is trying)
But I do not understand. (Breathe)
I will not accept the greatness of man
It’s a world comes crazy that keeps the woman in chains
It’s a world comes crazy that keeps the woman in chains

So, free her, so free her, so free her
So, free her, so free her (The Sun and the Moon)
So, (wind and rain) so free her, so free her

So, free her, so free her, so free her
So, free her, free her (The Sun and the Moon)
So, (wind and rain) so free her, so free her

(Woman in Chains, tears for Fears. Credit to the author.)


Tom remembered that too. At that moment the boy stared at her worried, something was happening ... Connie was crying...

-Are you okay? - He wanted to know.-
-Yes, it's a beautiful song. - It made me cry, that's all. - She apologized.-


            She did not want to, but she remembered those dramatic moments when she felt betrayed, desolate and alone. When her former boss broke his heart. She smiled wiping her tears with a paper napkin as her companion watched her. Tom could feel it, that poor girl had suffered a lot. That happened before he knew the whole truth about that girl and her sister. Now he could understand. He looked into her eyes. He loved to get lost in that intense violet of her pupils, and he could not help but whisper it in the grip of his feelings.

- You have the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen!


            Cooan reddened her cheeks and could not suppress a smile of complacency. She realized that Tom had not used the typical compliment to earn points. That boy had a pure soul and he always spoke from the bottom of his heart. He was expressing his feelings. She wished she had met him in Nemesis! How different her life would have been!

- They are a fairly frequent colour in my world of origin. - Said the happy girl to change the subject. -
- It's curious. - He added, following the same thread of conversation. - But among you. I mean your sisters, hardly do you look alike. Each one has a different colour of hair and eyes. It is very rare for sisters.
- It is true. - Admitted Cooan that she uncovered to the boy's surprise. - But those things are very normal in Nemesis. Well, I guess they will be in the future of Earth as well. There, parents can even choose colours for their children's eyes and hair. Genetic engineering is very advanced.


            Tom's mouth opened in surprise. Despite not being too religious for what was stylized in his own family, he shook his head and replied.

- I do not get it. Why change people like this! It's like playing God.
-Do you think that's wrong? - Cooan asked, feeling uneasy now about something she did not care about at all.
- No, is not that. - The boy said, not wanting to offend her now. - I mean, I do not see the need. At least I think a son or daughter is not a car or upholstery to choose the colour that should have. Without going further. What were your parents like?
- My father was dark haired and my mother had light brown hair. - She told him almost having to make an effort to remember it. - But there's a cause Tom. You will see. - She explained to him speaking of her planet as if they were right there and now. - There are very few inhabitants in Nemesis. And endogamous marriages are not as rare as here. Without going any further, the origin of my own family, for the little that I know, goes back to a forbidden love between relatives. She confessed to her listener, not without some embarrassment.


            Tom gave her a startled look. Of course that was very out of his education. Despite being of a spirit much more open than the rest of his family. However, there were certain things he could not easily assimilate. The girl, noticing that, wanted to clarify.

-It was something their families saw wrong. I don’t know. My ancestors then had to flee to be together. I heard my grandmother Kim say something about it once. It was our great-grandmother who came after her beloved. My mother must have told Petz that she is the oldest, but neither did she nor Kalie have ever wanted to talk to us about it. To tell you the truth, I'd rather not knowing it.
-Of course, I understand. Anyway you are not to blame for that. - The young replied. - It is a delicate subject, but if it is uncomfortable for you, you do not need to tell me anything else. – He added in a conciliatory tone.-


            Cooan smiled, feeling that Tom was a good boy who did not prejudge her. Of course if he had accepted her past, this would do so with more reason. In spite of everything she wanted to rest importance to the matter to him when adding.

-It is not that we marry among brothers, but it is common among cousins ​​and as you know, this can produce diseases or genetic defects. Besides, Nemesis had a strange source of energy. The dark energy we called it, which had serious effects on health. We were forced to use it to give light and heat to our planet and to survive, but at the time it was very harmful. Our first ancestors paid a high price, they died very young. And that, since very old times, began to force them to vary the genetic code to make us more resilient to it and to avoid problems derived from inbreeding.
-I see. - The boy was really astonished by what he was hearing. - It's incredible! ... Then you had to suffer a lot there. – He declared and really pitied her and her sisters.
- No Tom. - The young woman smiled now to reply with more joviality. - It was the opposite, you see. Life in my world, at least when I was born, was already very comfortable and easy. More than the Earth of today, but the pioneers did have a very bad time. At least until the danger of dark energy could be averted. Our scientists and technicians made great efforts to control it and isolate the population from it. Paradoxically, I think that the Wise Man who manipulated us, was also had something to do with that...
- It's so unthinkable for me. - He replied, although he had to recognize that on Earth was already successfully experienced in many of those things and who knows if pushed by necessity and with a technology much more advanced than the current one day people could resort to it. - It is not that I intend to judge him, much less. - He added. - It just seems like something really incredible. I just hope that you and your sisters are in good health. - He worried. - That you have no sequels.


            Cooan smiled relieved and even amused to add.

- Yes, do not be afraid. When Sailor Moon purified us, she dragged any trace of that energy that we could continue to have. It was like cleaning ourselves completely. What is more, it even seems to me that we have varied somewhat in our genetics. Since we arrived here it has been curious. Kalie and I do not stand out so much in our hair tones. However, my sisters Beruche and Petz have hair colours that draw attention. At first Bertie had it bluer, but it has become clearer, pulling white and even a little blond. And Petz is getting darker, it's almost blacker than dark green, which was her original colour. Although that is what least concerns us. Imagine that on arriving at this planet we thought that our colours were not of the Earth, but we have seen boys and girls even with rarer colours. Even they wear their hair painted with several of them!
-Yes. Believe me, in New York any of your family would go unnoticed in that and in almost anything else! - Laughed the boy that she also let out a clean laugh and when he could he added more seriously. - I suppose you'll miss your parents.
- Well, not as much as I should have. - Cooan replied, adopting a more serious and nostalgic tone when she added. - I hardly saw my father. He was traveling continuously. Of course, he always brought us presents and told us stories from the capital. Although I have more memories of my mother. She was a good woman and loved us very much. I adored her because she spoiled me. When she did not realize it, I dressed in her clothes to play. She smiled wistfully as she continued. -Unfortunately. She remembered with regret the time she told Rei. - I do not remember her features. Being small is natural, I was a little girl when we were taken to court and the day we said goodbye ...
- You suffered a lot. Didn´t you? - Tom understood, taking care of that. -Its normal. Being so young, that you get away from your mother, that affects anyone.
-Do you not believe it. - Denied her interlocutor who explained in a row. - I was not very aware of what was happening. In addition, we all believed that living in the Nemesis Court would be wonderful apart from, of course, we would often see our mother. But then we grew and even though we sometimes received news of them or vice versa, we did not have almost contact. And that all got worse when that Wiseman arrived ...


            At this point she was silent, clasped hands resting her chin on them. She seemed to be sad evoking that, and Tom thought it prudent and most courteous don´t  bothering her any more with those memories. All that belonged to the past, or to the future, what a mess! - He simply gave that girl an affectionate look and she added of her own volition to smile again.

-I remember when I said goodbye to my mother, then I was very young, I promised her that if I ever had a daughter, I would call her like her.
-And what was your mother's name? - It was Tom´s inevitable question.-
- Idina, from the Kurozuki family. It was the name that our ancestors adopted when arriving at Nemesis. - Cooan answered almost savouring the name with devotion. - In the end, I do not know what happened to her. I think she was ill. But I'm not sure. My poor mother, she was so lonely! ... -She cried visibly sadden, so much that some tear fell.-  I'm sorry ... when I think of her ... I cannot help it. -She was able to say certainly sorry.


            Tom looked at her with regret and sympathy. Poor girl! It was plain to see that her life was rather harder than he had come to imagine. Even so, she was able to overcome all that and choose to do good. The important thing is that she was there, by his side. Suddenly he felt the luckiest boy in the world for that and said with a loving and kind tone.

- Idina. It is a very pretty name. I really like me too. Your mother must have been like you, a great woman. And what happened to your father? If I may ask.
-He loved us, at least he was always very affectionate to us. But he was too interested in ascending into the Court. According to the little I know, he performed several missions for King Coraíon, the father of Prince Diamond. He disappeared into one of them. We never saw him again. Then we were sent to Earth, to the past. - Sighed the young woman. - The rest you know ...
-I thank God that they did. I'm very sorry about what happened to you, but I'm glad you're here. I could not have known you otherwise. - He straightforwardly replied. -


            Her interlocutor smiled gratefully at those words, she could wipe those tears and change the subject.

-Well, what about you? - She wanted to know the girl with patent interest, interrogating him with her look.-
-I? - His interlocutor pointed to himself with a finger on the chest .-
-You have not told me much about yourself. - Cooan replied. -
-There's not much to tell. My parents live on a farm in Kansas, near Manhattan. - My brother Daniel is in high school and is a computer geek.
-But Manhattan is not here in New York? – Said the young woman  who was surprised by that, she always thought that place was in NY.
-No, there's another one in my home state, between the Kansas River and the Big Blue, near a lake-  laughed the boy who commented with a funny smile. - Roy always made me that joke. He told me, hey man, you cannot say that you have not visited this place before. You've already been in Manhattan!


            Cooan laughed, she could perfectly imagine her crazy companion commenting on something like that. The truth is that she was enjoying a lot. Of course this new life had many attractions and was becoming more comfortable. It was already a change to become a normal human, and now, in addition, having varied so much of the Japanese culture to the North American one. That supposed for her sister and her another effort to adapt. But it had been worth it. Now she had the Impression that had been living always there, in the atmosphere of the Golden. She wish those damned demons would disappear forever! That was the only thing that could cloud her happiness. Especially now that she had finally connected with Tom.

-One of these days we should go and visit my family in Kansas. I'll invite you, Roy and Bertie. Sure you'll like it! You can see the museum of the treasures of the World, the Old Cowtown and Dodge City the city without law - he commented animatedly.-


            The girl nodded contentedly and then looked at her watch, realizing that the conversation had extended a lot. It had been too late. Tom also noticed this and both stood up as springs ready to return.

-I had a good time and I did not even realize the time. - He apologized.-
- It happened to me as well. - Cooan smiled as she proposed. - We have to repeat it and next time you will tell me more about your childhood and we can make this visit. If you really want to invite us. -Remove with humour.-
- I'll be happy to do it. - He said with complete sincerity. -


            And almost without realizing they were holding hands by walking through practically deserted streets. The boy did not notice a tingling that ran down his stomach whenever they both looked and Cooan was not indifferent to that feeling. The two stopped at the bus stop, which was people emptied then, they looked at each other again but not in a fleeting way and before anyone could think about what was happening Tom slowly approached her and the he kissed her lips gently. The girl felt her heart flutter, though of course she could not be happier. She was about to smile at his companion and kiss him back when the charm was broken. An awkward, hoarse voice snapped at them in mock sounds.

-How beautiful is love!


            They both turned around to discover a group of unworthy-looking individuals. They had apparently emerged from a dark alley near the stop and were watching them with malicious smiles. Instinctively Tom stepped between Cooan and that gang of what looked like thugs. He cursed the bad luck of running into such a group, but he tried to remain calm without showing any fear and only said calmly.

- We're just waiting for the bus, it'll be there soon.
-Oh, really? - Replied another, dressed in a handkerchief on his head. - Well, it will not matter that we stay here in your company.-
-Yes, - agreed another wearing a worn leather jacket and kept one of his hands suspiciously hidden in a pocket. - But there's a little problem. You are in our territory.
-What do you mean? - The young woman asked with concern and bewilderment reflected in her countenance. -
-I want to say that you have to pay a fee, and that's equivalent to giving us everything you have on - replied the guy of the jacket who, as Tom feared, took out a knife. -


            Their buddies were no less hoisting sticks and baseball bats that they had practically taken out of nowhere.

-Okay, - said the boy, pulling Cooan further away from the assailants. - Do not get nervous. - He asked them by throwing his wallet towards them. -
- We are very calm, man, we do this every day, we have it mastered! – The  handkerchief responded with acid sarcasm making fun of that and  provoking the laughs of his cronies. -
- All right, now the girl! - said another robber with an imperious voice. –


The woman obeyed, throwing her purse to the floor. She wish she could transform! She would give those guys a good lesson, but it was not worth it. Tom could be hurt and she could not be uncovered.

-Now leave us alone, please,- the girl asked in a calm tone. -
-Not so fast, - another said with a lecherous smile. - Your boyfriend can leave if he wants, but you're very pretty, we could have a good time with you.
-Do not you dare touch her! - Said Tom. -


Now, despite his obvious disadvantage, he could not suppress a more aggressive attitude. It was one thing to let himself be robbed, but of course he was not going to allow those pigs to even touch Connie.

-Are you going to stop us? - Laughed the hunter, who was handling the knife with obvious ease as he threatened. - Now you will see how brave you are! ...


            The assailants looked at each other in complicity, and two of them jumped at Tom, but he was waiting for them on guard duty and knocked them both out with karate kicks. Unnoticed by all of them, in the shadow of the alley a pair of reddish eyes witnessed the fight. It was a demon invoked by the masters to help their henchmen. He was accompanied by two members of the sect.

-Humans are useless, - he said scornfully. - I'll have to intervene.
- It was a coincidence. - One of the sectarians replied, hidden behind the same shadows that prevented him from being seen completely. - Those guys are real robbers. They have nothing to do with us.
- And our enemies are very skilled. They can deal with them without difficulty. - Justified the other that accompanied him .- We have to wait just a little.

            At that moment the demon, who did not stand out for his patience, decided to step forward and the stone to the neck of Cooan started to blink.

-Oh my God! - she said more and more frightened when she realized - there is a devil near here.


            To confirm her fears, a tall, slender figure emerged from a dark, narrow alley, more than two meters tall, greenish in the pale light of the lampposts, horns on their heads and hoofed feet. He wore an armour with a trident inscribed on his chest. Tom in the meantime had left all the assailants out of the fight, who, when they were recovered, saw the beast appear behind them.

-What the hell is that? - The one in the jacket could scream while covering his nose for which he was bleeding profusely when he received a kick from his adversary. -
- I do not stay here to check it, man. - Replied the one of the handkerchief that soon escaped running. -


            The others followed him because, between the beating and the impression of seeing such a monster, they decided they were over there. Tom soon noticed his new enemy and faced him in a guarded position challenging him.

-Do you want to get some too, fucking demon?
- My name is Dawon, from the third hell circle. - This one introduced himself. After that he praised his rival in an ironic way. - You are a very strong and skilled human, I congratulate you, you have put those idiots out of action with great ease. But unfortunately for you, you are no match for me.- And having said this he called to those who were with him. – You, go to inform, I take care of this.
The sectarians nodded, disappearing down the alley.

-That we will see! - Snapped his interlocutor ready for the fight. - You ought to be the ones behind all this. But I will not let you to bother us anymore.
-Go ahead and see what you're capable of against me, - the devil sneered. -
-Go, Connie, - the boy said firmly, - I'll deal with him. -
-But Tom, he's a devil, you will not be able to face him! - She replied, frightened, desperately searching through her clothes for some anti-spirits role but without finding it. -
-Go, run! - He insisted. -


Meanwhile Dawon was approaching with slow pace. The boy hit him with two punches and a kick, the demon fit the blows but did not flinch, stating with a sneer.

- You've done me a little damage, congratulations, you're not an ordinary human. But it will not serve you anything – Then he attacked in turn thrown with hits that his opponent dodged as he could. -


            For her part Cooan was sheltered in a corner and doubted, she did not know whether to become Justiciera or not.

- If I turn now I will reveal my identity, but if I do not, Tom can be badly hurt, I have to! - She convinced herself to move away a little so as not to be seen.


Although at that moment Dawon struck his enemy by knocking him down. Cooan could not prevent the demon from uprooting his friend and breaking his back with sadism. The boy screamed in pain and was half-conscious. But he could still hear her scream.

-Pure Heart of Fire, give me the power!


            Then, with vision blurred by pain, she saw Connie or someone who seemed to be like her approaching, then she was meaningless.

-Tom! Answer to me, please! - She shouted at him, trying to revive him unsuccessfully. -
-So you're one of those annoying justicieras -  laughed the demon watching the enchanted scene. It will be a pleasure to eliminate you
-We'll see about that! - Said Cooan, trembling with fury, so much so that she threw a powerful bolt at that creature. - You're going to pay for this, monster!


            However her opponent withdrew with a few very rapid movements to girl´s surprise.

-You are a very slow fool human! - Said the demon, counterattacking with another thunderbolt which the Justiciera dodged without difficulty, rolling on the ground and rising at the greatest speed. -
-Damn you! I will not forgive you! - She shouted, materializing her bow and firing a barrage of arrows.-


            The demon pulled away again with agility but yanked too much in his dexterity and did not notice a fallen can with which he stumbled backwards. The wall held him but Cooan took the opportunity to aim with certainty, tighten the bow and shooting again. This time she reached her enemy in the chest and with a scream of pain Dawon exploded. She threw herself to the ground to protect herself and her companion from the explosion, and once she had tried to revive him again, increasingly frightened by her condition.

-Please wake up, Tom, - she finally managed to reanimate, and he opened his eyes, he was numb with pain. -
-Who are you? - He asked, muttering the words in a rather precarious state of consciousness. -Where's Connie?


            The girl answered him in the dim light of the alley and even with her mask on.

- Calm down. The girl is fine, you have saved her. Do not worry we've taken care of her, I'm going to ask for help, please hold on! - the frightened girl asked him, barely holding back her tears. - They 're coming soon ...


            Fortunately, the bus arrived and she became known as Justiciera, managed to make the astonished driver to call an ambulance. The girl waited with Tom until they arrived, he lost consciousness again what Cooan took advantage of to run away from there while the  paramedics take care of him. A few streets away she returned to her normal identity and returned quickly asking for him. She explained that they had been moored and that she fled for help. The paramedics allowed her to go with the wounded to the hospital. When she arrived, barely suppressing her nerves and desolation, she telephoned without delay to Roy's apartment.


            Ignorant to everything that had happened, Bertie and Roy had been chatting. As expected, they did not go to the girls' flat. He offered her going to his apartment and she willingly agreed. They passed list to the last events arriving at that same night, the girl smiled to him at the same time that commented.

- You love that movie loves, don´t you?
-It brings back a lot of good memories, - he acknowledged. - My father took me to the premiere when I was very young. And many times I think there are many coincidences with my own life. They also adopted me and my parents died ...


            Beruche hugged him affectionately and he pressed against her, almost without realizing they pressed their lips in a kiss, caressing each other.

-I still remember the first time I saw you, - Bertie smiled. - Or rather, I did not see you, you fool!
-It was really the best stumbling I had in my life. - He admitted, laughing softly, stroking her cheek gently. -
- Well, if I tell you what I thought of you then. I had frozen you if I would be able to do it. - She assured him with another complicit smile. -
-I do not know if you would have done it, but now you can ignite me just by approaching me.


            And to underline those words he gave her a long kiss that she responded hugging him, both fell on the couch, with the boy on her. Roy stroked the girl's neck, giving her light kisses that provoked some soft moans from her. He felt Bertie unbutton her blouse. He was not sure he wanted to continue, something inside him did not want everything to happen like that, so fast. That had never happened to him. He surprised himself and stopped. Beruche was surprised too but just then the phone rang. Roy reached out and answered reluctantly ...

- Yes? Who? Oh, hello Connie! Where are you? - He smiled, but then the expression vanished, and his gesture went from surprise to anguish. - What do you say? – It cannot be! Calm down, please, we are on our way!
-What's the matter, Roy? – Beruche asked. She had been disconcerted and with an increasingly uneasy face she had tried to follow the conversation, while putting on her blouse. –


He looked at her in dismay and above all very concerned to respond in a low voice.

- Your sister is in the hospital, she has called saying that Tom is in urgency. It's serious, they've been attacked by robbers and a demon ...
-Oh my God! - Cried Bertie, covering her mouth. - Let's go fast!


            The two of them ran without loss of time, took a taxi and put them immediately at the hospital door. As soon as he entered the waiting room, Cooan rushed towards her sister, whom embraced her in tears, unable to articulate a word. Roy waited despite of his impatience and fear that the poor girl would calm herself down and ask her again.

-How did it happen? When?...
- We had a drink in a bar and then we went to the bus stop. There a group of thugs attacked us. Tom faced them but then a demon appeared, he fought him and that monster left Tom badly wounded. And I did not do anything! - She sobbed desperately. -
-Calm down. - Roy said, stunned and more and more enraged. Still, he'd mastered his feelings enough to give the girl some sympathetic words of encouragement. - What could you have done? It was not your fault, Connie. Sit down and try to calm down. Bertie, please, stay with her. I'm going to check on Tom.

Beruche nodded, causing her sister to sit with her head buried under her arms.


            Roy went to the front desk to ask if he could visit his friend. Cooan then told her sister the whole truth.

-It was my fault!  My God! I hesitated to transform myself, he tried to protect me, thinking I was helpless. He confronted that demon himself, while I hid to change without them seeing me.
-Be calm, you have destroyed that monster and saved Tom from death. You did what you should. -Her grieving sister was trying to console her. -
-That is not enough. What if something bad happens to him? - All for not revealing him who I am. I should have trusted him, I know he loves me. I came too late. I am stupid! - Cooan repeated over and over again, overwhelmed by guilt. -
-It'll all work out well, you'll see, stop torturing you. Tom will come out of this. - Beruche said, wishing in the depths of her heart to be right. -


            Roy in the meantime got permission to see his friend, he entered into the room and to his relief he found him sedated and asleep. He did not look serious. He came back to tell the girls. The doctor on duty then went towards them and asked them with courtesy.

-Are you relatives of the patient of two hundred and thirty-four?
-We are his friends from the university, he is not from here and he has no one else near. - Roy replied, otherwise the doctor could not inform them of anything. -


            The doctor nodded sympathetically and the boy asked without being able to avoid his uneasiness ...

-How is the doctor?


            The doctor consulted his notebook to declare.

- Let's see, patient Thomas Alan Rodney. Yes, his life is not in danger, nor has he lost too much blood.
- Thank God! - Beruche smiled even in tears - do you see Cooan? Everything is going to be okay. She assured her sister who was now sketching a pale smile of relief.
-I'm afraid that's not all, miss, - said the doctor, his face dismayed. - Unfortunately…
-What do you mean by that, doctor? - Roy asked, very worried. -
- He has a very serious fracture at the height of the fifth vertebra. - It was the answer that gave him his interlocutor in a low voice. -
-But it will heal, will not it?  What will they be, a few weeks, perhaps? - Roy urged him to respond. -


            But the doctor shook his head resignedly.

-I'm very sorry, but I'm afraid your friend will be paralyzed from the waist down. Sorry. - And without waiting for the response of the shocked boys, he walked down the hall. -


            Cooan who had risen hopeful by the previous news collapsed in the armchair breaking again to cry.

-No, no, my God! - She cried desperately, Beruche hugged her trying unsuccessfully to comfort her and unable to avoid crying with her. -
-No, nooo! - Roy howled, punching a marble table in front of him, causing it to crack. He barely had to restrain himself from transforming himself into the Golden Warrior, his voice cut off with rage and wrath. - It cannot be ... they must have been wrong ... Damn! Damn it, I swear I will destroy them all, they will pay for it even if my life is spent on it.
- Roy, please! - asked Beruche trying to master unsuccessfully her own tears - do not do anything crazy, you could get wounded the same or worse. What would we gain from that?
- Avenge him! - He said, clenching his fists and inflamed with rage. -
-No, - Bertie sobbed, shaking her head. - I am also suffering for him but giving back hate for hate will not serve him. Tom is going to need all the affection we can give him. Nothing else can be done. Let the Golden Warrior and the Justicieras take care of the other. And calm down, do it for him and for us.
-I'll do it, of course I will, I'll take care of it. - Roy muttered almost to himself, then added a precarious calm. "You're right, I'm so sorry, I promise you I'll leave this to the Golden Warrior." – He declared hugging the two girls and sighed trying to relieve their enormous tension to say with palpable anguish - we will have to notify their parents ...
-It was my fault, it was my fault! - sobbed and repeated Cooan again and again. - Tom, please forgive me!



            Roy looked at her sadly, poor girl. Why she tortured herself like that? She could not have done anything. Finally he let it be and he took hold of her while Beruche called their sisters to take her home. Petz and Karaberasu showed up at once, though they could not move Cooan from the waiting room. Roy, on the other hand, armed himself with courage, warned the parents of his friend trying to contain his anger until a more propitious occasion for the good of them all.




                       previous                                                              next

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Por favor, si sois tan amables y no os es molestia, comentar vuestras impresiones sobre lo que habéis leído. Me vendría muy bien para mejorar y conocer vuestras opiniones sobre mis historias. Muchas gracias. ;)